Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
La Presse – Chemin Roxham. Des « consultations » et 270 jours pour statuer sur le bail d’un donateur du PLC
Ottawa affirme qu’il lui faudra 270 jours pour déterminer s’il est possible de dévoiler la somme versée sans appel d’offres à un important donateur libéral afin d’héberger les demandeurs d’asile qui entrent au Canada par le chemin Roxham, en Montérégie. La Presse a fait une demande officielle auprès de Services publics et Approvisionnement Canada, en vertu de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information, pour obtenir les baux. Les tribunaux ont pourtant déjà déterminé par le passé que les baux signés par le gouvernement fédéral constituaient une information publique.
Globe and Mail – Canadian Egyptian Mohamed El-Attar Returns to Canada After Nearly 15 Years Imprisoned in Egypt on Spying Charge
After spending nearly 15 years in an Egyptian prison for a crime he insists he did not commit, Canadian Egyptian Mohamed el-Attar has returned to Canada. Now going by the name Joseph Attar after converting to Christianity, he was convicted of spying for Israel. His conviction was based mostly on a confession, which he said he signed after being tortured with electric shocks and forced to drink his own urine. Pushing a luggage cart carrying a few belongings to start his life from scratch in Canada, Mr. Attar said through tears that he can’t believe he is finally free.
Globe and Mail – Afghans Approved for Resettlement in Canada Hide in Fear as They Await Evacuation
Aman Lara, which relies on private donations to keep safe houses open, fears for the well-being of the Afghans who have met Canada’s resettlement criteria but find themselves without a secure place to stay while Ottawa works on finding ways to evacuate them. “We need to buy time for us to find a solution,” said Eleanor Taylor, a retired Canadian Armed Forces lieutenant-colonel and Aman Lara’s volunteer chief of staff. “And in that block of time, we need the support of Canadians.”
Toronto Star – When Trump’s Travel Ban Stranded This Doctor, Canada Welcomed Him. But Four Years Later, He and His Family Are Stuck in ‘Limbo’
Four years ago, Canada opened its door to Dr. Khaled Almilaji, who had been barred from the United States under then-president Donald Trump’s executive order to restrict entry of travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries — a measure widely labelled a “Muslim travel ban” by critics. But the epilogue to the story has flown largely under the radar. In fact, it’s arguably still awaiting a final chapter.
Global News – Afghan Refugees, ‘Very Resilient’ Human Rights Workers Arrive in Edmonton
On Friday, 170 refugees from Afghanistan — dozens of whom are human rights workers — arrived in Edmonton. The group landed in Calgary earlier this week and travelled to Edmonton by bus. Agencies have been working for months to bring them to Edmonton, Catholic Social Services (CSS) said. The refugees fled Afghanistan during the Taliban uprising in August 2021 and had been in hiding until earlier this week, when a flight could be booked, CSS said.
CTV News – Saskatoon Opens Arms to 200 Afghan Refugees
Since September, about 200 refugees have arrived in the Saskatchewan city from Afghanistan. The young women in the group, which includes their families, were all students or graduates of the Marefat School in Kabul, which championed women’s education. Since the Taliban’s takeover of the country in August 2021, the school has only been open to boys. Saskatoon teacher Tanis Folstad says her newest students have been excelling, in large part because of the English they learned in Kabul.