Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
La Presse – Immigration: la SSJB réclame une augmentation des candidats francophones
Le gouvernement Couillard doit recruter davantage d’immigrants francophones pour contrer le recul du français au Québec, selon la Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Montréal (SSJBM). Québec devrait donc, en toute logique, accorder davantage de points à la connaissance du français au moment de recruter des candidats à l’étranger, de manière à freiner cette tendance. À l’inverse, les points alloués par Québec à la connaissance de l’anglais ne devraient être réservés qu’aux seuls candidats affichant déjà une excellente maîtrise du français. Car Montréal s’anglicise et il est grand temps d’agir afin de maintenir le poids démographique du français au Québec, a plaidé le président de l’organisme, Maxime Laporte, jeudi, devant la commission parlementaire qui se penche sur la future politique d’immigration du Québec. […] La proportion d’immigrants connaissant le français avant de poser le pied au Québec devra donc être plus importante pour assurer la pérennité de la langue française, aux yeux de la SSJBM. Elle demande au gouvernement de se fixer comme objectif que 81% de la population québécoise soit de langue maternelle française en 2025.
Metro News – Court Stands Pat on Refugee Health Care
The Federal Court judge who declared the government’s approach to refugee health care unconstitutional has ruled she can’t do anything about the new measures the Conservatives have put in place. Federal Court Justice Anne Mactavish says while there could be charter issues with the government’s new temporary policy, it’s beyond her jurisdiction to deal with them. She says that’s because of the finality of the ruling she issued in July declaring that the interim federal health care program violated the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Lawyers for the refugee claimants had asked the judge to provide clearer directions than she did in her original decision last summer, when she ordered the government to put a new health care program in place. That new system, they argued, was still a violation of the charter rights of refugee claimants because it did not provide broad coverage to all eligible refugees. Government lawyers countered by saying the decision didn’t extend the right to coverage, but merely declared the old program unconstitutional.
Globe and Mail – Power to Inspect TFW Employers Without a Warrant Hasn’t Been Used
The Conservative government’s clampdown on the temporary foreign worker program promised a “massive” increase in inspections – including the power to search work sites without a warrant – but documents show this now year-old inspection power has never been used. The reason: It hasn’t been necessary, according to the Employment Minister. The power to conduct inspections without a warrant was heavily promoted by the Conservative government as an example of how Ottawa was getting tough on employers in response to several high-profile cases of abuse. […] Essentially, the government argues that simply having the inspection power on the books has been effective at encouraging employers to hand over documents showing they are complying with their obligations. And Ottawa would apply the new powers only if employers refused to co-operate. […] The department said Wednesday that it does visit work sites – including the McDonald’s restaurants that attracted controversy last year – but that the new powers were not invoked because employers are willingly co-operating. A franchise owner operating three McDonald’s locations in Victoria was suspended from the program last year over allegations of breaking its rules.
Calgary Herald – Critics Demand More Transparency Around New Temporary Foreign Worker Measures
Only a “small fraction” of temporary foreign workers in Alberta will qualify for an extended stay in Canada as a result of one-time bridging measures quietly rolled out this week, the federal government says. But critics charge that a lack of clarity is causing heightened anxiety among the thousands of vulnerable workers seeking a lifeline in advance of a looming April 1 deadline to leave the country. […] But while the new measures have been praised by business groups, others are calling for more information about the number of permits that will be offered and what type of workers will receive them. “It’s a solution that appears like it will benefit some people, but it’s not clear whom. And the fact that they’re not publicizing it, I would say, is really problematic,” said Vance Langford, an immigration lawyer with Field Law’s Calgary office. “I believe they (government) have a duty to inform people about changes to policy — what it is, what it means, who it affects, and who needs to make other plans.”
La Tribune – Financement inadéquat pour les nouveaux arrivants
La Ville de Sherbrooke a mis en évidence les défis qui attendent les personnes immigrantes et les communautés d’accueil, mardi, en présentant un mémoire lors de la commission parlementaire vers une nouvelle politique québécoise en matière d’immigration, de diversité et d’inclusion. À Québec, la conseillère Annie Godbout a fait valoir que les villes accueillant une forte proportion de réfugiés ne bénéficient pas du financement nécessaire pour faciliter la vie de ces nouveaux arrivants. « Lorsque collectivement nous faisons le choix de répondre à des situations humanitaires, il faut être conséquent et assurer les financements adéquats », a déclaré Mme Godbout. En Estrie, 53 % des personnes immigrantes accueillies sont des personnes réfugiées, une spécificité de la région. « Sherbrooke est une des villes au Québec qui accueille le plus grand nombre de personnes dans les catégories réfugié et parrainé par rapport au total d’immigrants reçus. Un immigrant économique aura réussi son intégration […] dans un délai raisonnable pour le ministère [de l’Immigration]. Par contre, la personne réfugiée, dont le parcours est atypique, nécessite des conditions préalables », lit-on dans le mémoire qui a été déposé.
CBC – Some Temporary Foreign Workers in Alberta to Get Reprieve
Some temporary foreign workers in Alberta are getting more time to become permanent residents as they face a deadline for leaving the country. The transitional measure will offer a reprieve to some employees in Alberta working in the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program as they wait for their permanent residence applications to be processed, Employment Minister Jason Kenney said in a letter to Conservative MPs obtained by CBC News. The federal government introduced new rules last June barring employers from hiring low-wage temporary foreign workers in regions where the unemployment rate is above six per cent, and requiring employers to cap the number of foreign workers they hire at 10 per cent by 2016. April 1 is the deadline for workers under the program who have been in the province since 2011 or earlier to leave the country in accordance with the new Labour Market Impact Assessment criteria. […] Additionally, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is providing a one-year bridging work permit to temporary foreign workers who are subject to the four-year cumulative duration limit.