Media Roundup

La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.


CBC – Regina Sees Influx of New Refugees

The Regina Open Door society usually welcomes about 15 refugees each month. Last month they saw the arrival of 50 newcomers. That’s 50 people requiring temporary accommodation, orientation and to be connected with a local host/mentor. Getachew Woldeyesus is a manager with the Regina Open Door Society. He said the bulk of the newcomers are from Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria. […] New refugees have temporary accommodation for about a week until they can be moved into permanent homes. Woldeyesus said an increasing vacancy rate has not translated into affordability. […] Woldeysus said the Open Door Society is looking for landlords who want to partner with the organization and help house new arrivals. […] On Thursday, the Government of Saskatchewan gave $297,702 to the Regina Open Door Society’s Newcomer Welcome Centre.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-sees-influx-of-new-refugees-1.3045976

CBC – Yellowknife Wins Exemption from Temporary Foreign Worker Hiring Ban

Businesses in Yellowknife will once again be able to hire temporary foreign workers after winning an exemption from a hiring ban imposed by the federal government. Parts of Canada with high unemployment rates were barred from accessing foreign workers last June as part of a federal government overhaul designed to address abuse of the system. Regions with unemployment rates over 6 per cent were barred from accessing the program. The Northwest Territories had an unemployment rate of just over 7 per cent. The territorial government asked that an exemption be made for Yellowknife, because its unemployment rate, at just over 2 per cent, is much lower than the territory’s.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yellowknife-wins-exemption-from-temporary-foreign-worker-hiring-ban-1.3045431

Acadie nouvelle – La francophonie critique le premier budget Oliver

Le budget fédéral déposé mardi par le ministre des Finances du Canada, Joe Oliver, provoque une amère déception chez les organismes responsables de la défense des droits des francophones en milieu minoritaire. Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet, présidente de la Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick (SANB), a suivi le dépôt du budget fédéral avec intérêt. […] Dans son discours, le ministre Joe Oliver n’a aucunement mentionné la francophonie, la dualité, ni les langues officielles. En comparaison, le mot «économie» a été énoncé à sept reprises. […] La SANB déplore aussi l’absence de financement pour appuyer l’immigration francophone en milieu minoritaire. Le Comité directeur Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada – Communautés francophones en situation minoritaire s’est pourtant fixé un objectif de 4,4 % d’immigration francophone en 2006. En fait, le discours du ministre Oliver ne fait pas du tout allusion à l’immigration en général. «Le gouvernement dit que l’immigration est importante, mais ça ne se reflète pas dans le budget. C’est inquiétant. On compte sur nos gouvernements pour s’assurer que l’enjeu de l’immigration francophone ne soit pas seulement quelque chose qu’on entend dans les discours, mais qu’il ait vraiment de l’appui.»

 

https://www.acadienouvelle.com/actualites/2015/04/22/la-francophonie-critique-le-premier-budget-oliver/

Thompson Citizen – Multicultural Centre Saved for Now

Just last month the Thompson Multicultural Centre was struggling to raise enough money to pay off back taxes, to keep the building. The committee had to raise $6,000 before April 22 to keep the building, and with the help of donations and volunteering at the Thompson Regional Community Centre (TRCC) concession, and a portion of those sales going to the centre, the money was able to be raised. President Peter Aarinola says it feels great to have saved the building. “Working together we have been able to retain the symbol of unity among various multicultural, multi-religious, multi-ethnic groups in Thompson. Losing that building might have meant killing the spirit of multiculturalism and the spirit of volunteerism among the aforementioned groups in our dynamic community. We can not lose that.” […] The board members of the multicultural centre are asking for the public’s input in how the centre can raise funds, and are asking for donations as well as volunteer hours.

http://www.thompsoncitizen.net/news/thompson/multicultural-centre-saved-for-now-1.1830013

New Canadian Media – Despite System’s Flaws, More International Students Coming to Ontario

A recent study titled International Students in the Ontario Postsecondary System and Beyond, which was funded by Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario and presented at the National Metropolis Conference in Vancouver, shows a significant increase of international students living in the province between 2000 and 2012. International Migration Research Centre (IMRC) researchers found an increase in students coming from Asia, Africa and the USA to study in Ontario, but more importantly found that over 50 per cent are opting to remain in Canada after completing their studies. One of the IMRC researchers, Dr. Margaret Walton-Roberts, says it’s important to evaluate the students’ experiences, and how they are impacting Canadian immigration, when looking at the study’s findings. […] Although many foreign students are entering into Ontario, there has been a significant decrease in female international students. According to IMRC, from 2008 to 2012 there was a decrease of eight per cent of females coming to Ontario for education.

http://newcanadianmedia.ca/item/26849-despite-system-s-flaws-number-of-international-students-in-ontario-is-rising

New Canadian Media – B.C. and Manitoba Settlement Agencies Suffer Under New Control

Unlike Ontario and the Atlantic region, both B.C. and Manitoba used to have provincial control of their settlement services. For these provinces, the largest issue has been getting used to federal control. Settlement in the west coast metropolitan city of Vancouver – one of Canada’s top destinations for migrants with 45 per cent of its population being foreign-born – is no exception. When the federal government decided to strip control of settlement services from B.C. effective April 1, 2014, the biggest casualty was the freedom agencies had to serve a large array of newcomers. “Under federal funding, service can only be provided to permanent residents and government sponsored refugees,” explains Karen Larcombe, the executive director of South Vancouver Neighbourhood House (SVNH). “That leaves out naturalized immigrants (those with citizenship), temporary foreign workers, who we used to be able to serve, foreign students, etc.”

http://newcanadianmedia.ca/item/26842-b-c-and-manitoba-settlement-agencies-suffer-under-new-control