Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
CBC – “Barbaric Cultural Practices” Bill Inflammatory, Says Canadian Bar Association
The Canadian Bar Association is expected to speak before a House of Commons committee Tuesday to outline concerns about a proposed law that would bar people involved in polygamous relationships from immigrating to Canada. The CBA has argued the proposed changes in Bill S-7 — known as the Zero Tolerance for Barbaric Cultural Practices Act — would prevent women and children forced into polygamous relationships from immigrating to Canada. Lawyer Suzanne Costom, who is expected to testify before the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration on behalf of the CBA, said the working title of the bill is needlessly inflammatory. “We do say that the title is divisive and misleading, and oversimplifies factors that contribute to discrimination and violence against women and children,” she said. […] The bill passed its third reading in the Senate in December 2014 and is now before the House of Commons.
Radio Canada International – Canada : De nombreux Haïtiens et Zimbabwéens risquent l’expulsion
3500 personnes dont au moins 3200 Haïtiens et 300 Zimbabwéens ont jusqu’au 1er juin pour régulariser leur statut en sol canadien. Après cette date, ils pourraient être renvoyés dans leur pays d’origine. Un moratoire en vigueur depuis 2002 pour le Zimbabwe et depuis 2004 pour Haïti – en raison d’une situation instable dans ces deux pays – a été levé en décembre dernier. Le gouvernement fédéral a accordé un délai de six mois aux personnes concernées pour remplir une ultime demande de résidence permanente pour motifs humanitaires. À quelques semaines de la date d’échéance, les cinq organismes québécois mandatés pour les aider sont débordés et craignent ne pas être en mesure de compléter toutes les demandes à temps. La plupart des dossiers concernent des demandeurs d’asile déboutés et nécessitent plusieurs heures de travail puisqu’il faut fournir de nombreux documents. La Table de concertation des organismes au service des personnes réfugiées et immigrantes demande donc une extension du délai d’au moins trois mois. Un autre comité réclame plutôt que tous les Haïtiens et Zimbabwéens vivant au Canada puissent rester au pays.
Cape Breton Post – Province Announces $174,000 for Immigration Initiatives in Cape Breton
Her husband had relocated here for a pharmaceutical job. Yuan had completed an undergraduate degree in Chinese literature and a law degree, and had served as an in-house legal consultant in her home country.[…] Now a Canadian citizen, Yuan…is now working at CBU as a liaison officer. She welcomed word from Immigration Minister Lena Metlege Diab Monday that the province will provide $174,000 in funding for initiatives to welcome newcomers. CBU will work with the YMCA of Cape Breton to hold community workshops to highlight the benefits of bringing immigrants to Cape Breton and also to implement the Cape Breton immigration task force’s action plan. CBU released a report of its rural-urban immigration pilot project Monday, with Diab on hand. […]Cape Breton has more than 1,200 international students and the goal is to encourage more of them to stay here after graduation. Under a program announced last year for international graduates who want to stay in Nova Scotia, someone with a job offer from an employer in the province can apply for permanent residency through a skilled worker stream.
The Province – Dr. Martina Scholtens: B.C. Needs to Improve Health Coverage for Refugees
Until June 2012, the Interim Federal Health Program, funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada since 1957, provided limited, temporary health insurance to all refugees. Then the program was slashed. […] The debate over the harms caused by the IFH changes to refugee health insurance is over. Now it’s time for B.C. to step up to the plate with some solutions. This province receives seven per cent of the country’s refugees, 1,500 to 2,000 a year. The financial costs, adverse health effects, confusion and inefficiency resulting from the federal changes to IFH are significant, and the province is paying the price. The simplest, most effective change would be to provide MSP and Pharmacare (income assistance level) to refugee claimants at the point that they file their claim, through to the end of their legal process.
The Guardian – Thousands of Migrants Rescued in the Mediterranean as Weekend Operations Continue
The Italian coastguard has coordinated one of its largest ever rescue operations, saving 3,427 people on Saturday and Sunday as smugglers took advantage of calm seas to send migrants across the Mediterranean. Migrants were rescued from seven wooden boats and nine rubber dinghies off the coast of Libya in 16 separate operations on Saturday and early Sunday as distress signals came in throughout the day. Some of the overcrowded boats would usually have a capacity of less than 20 passengers, a coastguard source told the Guardian. Italian naval frigate the Bersagliere saved 778 people from five boats south of Lampedusa, Italy’s southernmost island. The Vega rescued a further 672 people in two separate incidents on Saturday, the Italian navy said. While the large-scale operation was coordinated by the Italian authorities, the rescues were an international effort. French vessel Commandant Birot, patrolling the Mediterranean as part of the EU’s Triton operation, saved 217 migrants from three boats and arrested two suspected people smugglers. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/03/thousands-migrants-rescue-med-weekend-operations-libya-italy-mediterranean
L’Echo de Laval – Selon une étude d’Equifax il semble que l’octroi de crédit aux nouveaux immigrants pourrait être un investissement judicieux
Selon une étude menée par Equifax Canada sur les nouveaux immigrants [1], il semblerait que les nouveaux arrivants au Canada présentent de faibles taux de défaillance en matière de crédit, ce pourrait être vu comme un sage investissement pour les institutions financières. Quelque 250 000 nouveaux immigrants arrivent au Canada chaque année et pour les institutions financières cela représente de grandes possibilités de se connecter à cette base de clients grandissante et d’établir des relations à long terme. Toutefois, il peut être difficile d’évaluer le risque de cette population à cause de son manque d’antécédents canadiens en matière de crédit. « Il y a des fausses idées voulant que l’octroi de crédit à des nouveaux immigrants soit une démarche risquée pour les institutions financières, alors qu’en fait les immigrants ont des taux de défaillance de 20 pour cent inférieurs à ceux de la moyenne nationale dans la population générale. » explique Regina Malina, directrice principale d’Aperçus de décision à Equifax Canada..