Media Roundup

La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.


The Tyee – Ottawa Delays Data on Foreign Workers

Canadians will have to wait until the end of June or longer to find out the full effects of the Tories’ changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, despite the government’s promise to release information about it every three months. The Harper government has said it would post data on the number of foreigner workers approved through the program on a quarterly basis, but still hasn’t released information from the last quarter of 2014. […] Citizenship and Immigration Canada had released all of its data on Temporary Foreign Workers up to the end of September 2014 by mid- February of this year. But in February, when The Tyee asked for the numbers through to the end of 2014, Citizen and Immigration Canada said the figures would be released in a couple of months. The Tyee asked again Monday and CIC media relations staffer Remi Lariviere said the figures for 2014 might be released at the end of June.

http://www.thetyee.ca/News/2015/05/08/Canadian-Foreign-Workers-Data-Delay/

Toronto Star – Prospective Immigrants Younger, Better Educated, Survey Finds

According to World Education Services (WES), one of a handful of agencies Ottawa designated to evaluate immigrant credentials, 80 per cent of all its work last year was done for those who were abroad, compared to 16 per cent in 2012. The study — offering a first glimpse into the impact on immigrant profiles under recent policy changes — surveyed 28,851 prospective immigrants referred by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. About 3,200 completed the questionnaire. The survey found that 95 per cent of the would-be immigrants were between 25 and 44, compared to just 84 per cent before 2013. Fifty-nine per cent of respondents said their highest level of education is a bachelor’s degree, while 42 per cent had a master’s degree and 3 per cent had a doctoral degree, said the report to be released Friday. In comparison, prior to 2012 when the mandatory educational credential assessment process was introduced, only 34 per cent of the respondents had an undergraduate degree; 18 per cent had a master’s; and 5 per cent, a PhD.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2015/05/08/prospective-immigrants-younger-better-educated-survey-finds.html

North Bay Nugget – City Asked to Support Permanent Resident Voting

City politicians will be asked Monday to support allowing permanent residents to vote in municipal elections. Don Curry, executive director of the North Bay and District Multicultural Centre, is slated to make a presentation to council calling on North Bay to back legislative changes that would extend voting rights in municipal elections to permanent residents – those who have immigrated to Canada, but are not citizens. It will be Curry’s second time appearing before council with the request. In 2013, Curry told council some people can remain permanent residents for more than a decade, all the while paying taxes and contributing to the financial, social and cultural well-being of the community, but without benefit of a political voice. His presentation was followed up by a favourable staff report which recommended council support the request. But the report was shelved and never discussed. Curry said Friday he’s not sure why the issue was never revisited. But he’s hoping the current council will be supportive. […] In North Bay, Curry estimates there are about 3,500 immigrants, most of which are Canadian citizen. He estimates between 500 and 1,000 are permanent residents.

http://www.nugget.ca/2015/05/08/city-asked-to-support-permanent-resident-voting

CBC – Stephen Harper Won’t Allow “Permanent Underclass” of Temporary Foreign Workers

Prime Minister Stephen Harper vowed Friday that Canada will not have an immigration system where foreign workers are in Canada over the long term without having the same rights as Canadians. During a joint press conference Friday on Parliament Hill with visiting Philippine President Benigno Aquino, a Filipino journalist asked about recent changes to the temporary foreign worker program, which have hurt nannies and other caregivers from that country in particular. Thousands have had to to leave jobs with Canadian families and return home after their visas expired. The new rules impose a four-year limit on temporary foreign workers and there is a backlog of permanent residency applications that makes it difficult for caregivers to stay longer. Harper said his government wants to make sure that immigrants were not filling jobs that Canadians could do. “Just as importantly, we’re making sure that when people come to this country to work and to work long-term, they have the ability to move towards being permanent citizens of this country,” he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-harper-won-t-allow-permanent-underclass-of-temporary-foreign-workers-1.3066236

La Presse – Travailleurs étrangers: Harper ne veut pas d’une «classe marginale»

Stephen Harper ne veut pas que le programme de travailleurs étrangers temporaires serve finalement à créer une «classe marginale permanente» de gens, sans droits de citoyenneté ou de mobilité. Rencontrant la presse à Ottawa vendredi à l’issue d’un entretien avec le président des Philippines, Benigno Aquino, M. Harper a été interrogé par un journaliste philippin sur ce programme très populaire notamment auprès des immigrants de ce pays. M. Harper a d’ailleurs exprimé le souhait que cette immigration philippine au Canada continue à croître. Le pays compterait environ 700 000 Canadiens d’origine philippine. Les Philippins, comme plusieurs autres diasporas au Canada, sont cependant touchés par les modifications apportées récemment par les conservateurs au programme fédéral de travailleurs étrangers temporaires. Le gouvernement Harper a statué que les travailleurs étrangers temporaires qui occupent des emplois peu spécialisés devaient décider, avant le 1er avril dernier, de devenir résidents permanents ou de quitter le pays.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/politique/politique-canadienne/201505/08/01-4868231-travailleurs-etrangers-harper-ne-veut-pas-dune-classe-marginale.php

Radio Canada International – Main d’oeuvre : le Canada va t-il se battre pour le talent mondial?

Exode d’entreprise et diminution de la qualité de vie des Canadiens? Tout l’avenir canadien reposerait sur les épaules des travailleurs étrangers. Le gouvernement du Canada a réformé récemment le Programme des travailleurs étrangers temporaires afin de veiller à ce que les emplois soient d’abord offerts aux Canadiens. Mais cette nouvelle politique que l’on résume par « Les Canadiens d’abord » ne ferait rien selon certains pour résoudre la pénurie de main-d’oeuvre qualifiée au Canada qui représente l’un des plus sérieux défis économiques auxquels fait maintenant face le Canada. En raison du vieillissement prononcée de la population active canadienne, des pénuries de main-d’oeuvre qualifiée sont à prévoir dans des secteurs spécifiques de la construction, des mines et du pétrole (si les prix mondiaux devaient repartir à la hausse). Peu avant le ralentissement économique qui a commencé il y a plusieurs mois, l’organisme Compétences Canada estimait qu’un million de nouveaux travailleurs qualifiés seraient nécessaires d’ici 2020.

http://www.rcinet.ca/fr/2015/05/08/main-doeuvre-le-canada-doit-se-battre-pour-le-talent-sur-la-scene-mondiale/