Media Roundup

La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.


CBC – Happy Valley-Goose Bay Businesses Seek Foreign Worker-Ban Exemption

Business owners in Happy Valley-Goose Bay are hoping to win an exemption from a federal ban on hiring temporary foreign workers. Last year, Ottawa made changes to the program, including a ban on hiring low-wage temporary foreign workers, in regions with high unemployment. Since then, central Labrador businesses say they’re struggling to find people to work. […] The Northwest Territories has an unemployment rate of just over seven per cent, but the territorial government asked for an exemption for Yellowknife itself, which has a rate just over two per cent.  Tim Hortons franchise owner Rob Everard said that’s similar to the situation in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. “Because we’re lumped in, in unemployment, with western Newfoundland, and all of Labrador,” he said. “The problem is, because we’re lumped in, they can’t even give us actual rates of unemployment for Goose Bay.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/happy-valley-goose-bay-businesses-seek-foreign-worker-ban-exemption-1.3066507

Metro News Canada – Legal Aid Makes Unprecedented Request at Penalty Hearing for Disgraced Refugee Lawyer

In an unprecedented move, Legal Aid Ontario is seeking intervener status at the penalty hearing of a disgraced Toronto lawyer who has admitted to professional misconduct in representing Roma refugees. On Monday, LAO and three other community and advocacy groups will go before a disciplinary panel of the Law Society of Upper Canada seeking standing in the sentencing of Viktor Hohots, who pleaded guilty to professional misconduct in March for failing to adequately prepare the asylum claims of 13 of his clients. […] Hohots has represented hundreds of Hungarian Roma refugees in recent years. The other applicants seeking standing include the Canadian Romani Alliance, Roma Centre and Romero House, which are represented by prominent constitutional lawyer Mary Eberts, a former Law Society bencher. […] Gina Csanyi-Robah, of the Romani Alliance, said the groups are concerned the regulator would only give a minor penalty for Hohots’ misconduct that amounts to a “slap on the wrist,” while the complainants paid a hefty price when their asylum claims were rejected and they were ultimately deported.

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1365119/legal-aid-makes-unprecedented-request-at-penalty-hearing-for-disgraced-refugee-lawyer/

Radio-Canada – États généraux : des immigrants africains plaident pour l’inclusion

Une dizaine d’immigrants d’Afrique de l’Ouest étaient rassemblés samedi après-midi à l’Université de Saint-Boniface dans le cadre d’un « café-citoyen » sur les États généraux de la francophonie. Les participants ont discuté des défis de l’inclusion, notamment sur le marché du travail et, plus globalement, dans la société manitobaine. Pour l’un d’eux, Sidi Hartane, c’est important pour les immigrants francophones de pouvoir contribuer au débat parce qu’ils parlent français et ont l’expérience dans ce genre d’activité. « Nous serons certainement très contributifs à la communauté francophone, a-t-il assuré. Mais surtout viser à ce qu’on élargisse la définition de francophone. Parce que la définition de francophone, c’est tous ceux qui parlent français et non celui qui est français. Sinon la francophonie serait restreinte à la France purement et simplement. » Certains immigrants présents samedi ont d’ailleurs mentionné être venus s’installer au Manitoba à cause sa culture francophone.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/manitoba/2015/05/10/001-cafe-citoyen-immigrants-afrique-ouest.shtml

Toronto Star – Ontario Employers Cashing in On Temporary Workers

Under Ontario’s antiquated Employment Standards Act, which is currently under review, there is no limit on how long a company can employ a worker as temporary before giving him or her a permanent job. There is nothing to stop employers from paying temp workers less than their permanent counterparts, nothing to prevent them from hiring their entire workforce on a “temporary” basis if they so choose. […] Over the past decade, there has been a 33 per cent increase in the number of temporary workers in Toronto, to more than 340,000 in 2014 from 256,000 in 2004, according to Statistics Canada. Industries such as food manufacturing, transportation and health care saw some of the biggest jumps. By contrast, the number of permanent employees increased by just 12 per cent over the same period. […] Ontario’s temp agency industry is flourishing. The province’s employment services sector earned $5.7 billion in revenue in 2012, a near 72-per-cent jump from 2002. Temporary agencies account for an estimated 60 per cent of that industry’s total revenue.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/10/ontario-employers-cashing-in-on-temporary-workers.html

La Presse – En niqab à sa cérémonie de citoyenneté

Trois mois après que le débat eut fait rage partout au pays, une juge de la citoyenneté a accepté qu’une femme assiste à la quasi-totalité de sa propre cérémonie de citoyenneté en étant vêtue d’un niqab, plus tôt cette semaine à Montréal, a appris La Presse. La présence d’une candidate citoyenne vêtue d’un tel voile intégral est rarissime, selon une source gouvernementale. La toute nouvelle citoyenne canadienne a toutefois respecté les règles en vigueur et s’est découvert le visage pendant quelques instants, le temps de prêter serment. Certaines personnes dans l’audience ont ressenti un malaise face à la présence du niqab, ce voile intégral qui n’est percé que d’une étroite fente pour permettre la vision. Mais aucun esclandre n’est venu troubler la cérémonie, qui s’est tenue mercredi matin.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/national/201505/08/01-4868269-en-niqab-a-sa-ceremonie-de-citoyennete.php

CBC – #SaveRIAC Campaign Keeps Refugee, Immigrant Council Open

An advisory council that has helped thousands of refugees and immigrants coming to Newfoundland and Labrador start new lives has been given a reprieve after nearing the brink of closure. The Refugee and Immigrant Advisory Council feared it would have to shut its doors and was forced to lay off staff. The council has relied on donations and the efforts of volunteers ever since it started more than 30 years ago. However, the current economic climate led to fewer donations. A fundraising campaign called #SaveRIAC, which began in March, generated $8,510.75 in cash and a pledge of $14,124.96. The donations will allow the organization to stay open in a reduced capacity, the council said in a news release, adding that volunteers will continue to offer what services they can. “We are optimistic about the possibility to bring back our staff, who were laid off by mid-March,” said executive director Jose Rivera.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/saveriac-campaign-keeps-refugee-immigrant-council-open-1.3066309