Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
Toronto Star – Canada Slips Out of Top-Five Countries in Integrating Immigrants
Canada has dropped out of the top five nations when it comes to integrating immigrants, due to policy changes by Ottawa that restrict family reunification and citizenship. According to the latest world ranking by a Brussels-based think tank, Canada has slipped from third to sixth place among 38 developed countries in providing migrants access to equal rights, support and opportunity. Although Canada is still considered a welcoming country for newcomers, amid a global tide of anti-immigrant and anti-terror actions, the Migrant Integration Policy Index (MIPEX) says Canada’s shift to the right raises questions about its traditions of inclusion. “It is a cause of concern, one that we need to watch,” said Thomas Huddleston of the Migration Policy Group, lead author of the European Union-funded, peer-reviewed index. Canada’s 2015 MIPEX profile will be released in Toronto on Wednesday. “With Canada rolling back on some provisions from family reunification and citizenship, it is going to have an impact on immigrant integration. Other countries will follow Canada.”
La Presse – Près de 3500 sans-papiers risquent d’être renvoyés du Canada
Néél Eigene se souvient du jour où il a quitté Haïti : le 11 juin 2007. Huit ans plus tard, l’agriculteur craint d’y être renvoyé de force, alors que le Canada lèvera le 1er juin la suspension temporaire des renvois vers la Perle des Antilles ainsi que vers le Zimbabwe. « Je n’ai plus rien là-bas », a dit hier à La Presse l’agriculteur dans la cinquantaine, qui participait à un rassemblement devant les bureaux de Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada, au centre-ville de Montréal. Le Comité d’action des personnes sans statut demande à Ottawa une « mesure immédiate, globale et collective » de régularisation des quelque 3200 Haïtiens et 300 Zimbabwéens concernés, sauf pour ceux qui seraient accusés de crime, explique son porte-parole, Serge Bouchereau. Le ministre de l’Immigration, Chris Alexander, n’a pas commenté cette demande, mais son porte-parole, Kevin Ménard, a indiqué dans un échange de courriels avec La Presse que « le Canada possède l’un des systèmes d’immigration les plus justes et généreux au monde ». Le gouvernement canadien avait instauré en 2004 une suspension temporaire des renvois vers Haïti et en 2002 vers le Zimbabwe.
BBC News – US Court Backs Hold on Obama Immigration Action
A US court has backed a temporary hold on President Barack Obama’s plans to shield almost five million illegal immigrants from deportation. The hold was imposed after 26 states launched a legal challenge against the executive action, alleging it was unconstitutional. An appeals court has now denied a government request to overturn it. The White House said the action was essential to fix a “broken immigration system”. Under the plans, announced last year, people who entered the US illegally as children and parents of children who are US citizens would be offered temporary protection from deportation. Aside from arguing President Obama acted outside his authority, the states say the move forces them to invest more in law enforcement, health care and education. The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals’ ruling keeps the plans on hold while the states’ legal challenge proceeds. It is not clear yet whether the Obama administration will appeal.
CBC – Nanny Program Stonewalled by Ottawa, Frustrated Parents Say
Parents who say they’re tearing their hair out trying to apply for a foreign nanny accuse the federal government of stringing them along — for political reasons. “We’re pawns in a game that’s supposed to look like families are getting helped, but they’re not,” said Michael Shandro, the Edmonton father of two preschoolers. They believe the government has effectively killed the live-in caregiver program, without coming out and saying so. […] The Shandros are among hundreds of parents whose applications to bring in foreign nannies have been rejected since Ottawa tightened rules in the temporary foreign worker program. Government statistics show 97 per cent of the applications from 751 parents needing child care were not approved between Dec. 1 — when the rules changed — to the end of March. […] One nanny agency, which asked to not be named, said business is suffering, because virtually all of its clients’ applications for foreign caregivers have been rejected. […] “We didn’t design the program to make immigration consultants happy,” said Minister of Employment and Social Development Pierre Poilievre. He said he’s proud of how fast his department is processing applications.
Toronto Star – Expired Maple Leaf Card can Turn Immigrants into Exiles
Each year, thousands of permanent residents discover they can’t return to Canada after time away and face losing their permanent status because of an invalid “Maple Leaf Card,” the Ottawa-issued newcomer ID. Government figures show that in 2013 alone, 19,503 permanent residents had to apply for a one-time travel document to return to Canada after being away. But only 13,211, or 70 per cent (down from 76 per cent the year before) were approved. Some 5,550 were refused and the rest were withdrawn. The federal government introduced the Maple Leaf Card in 2002 to replace the old landing document as a means of enforcing residency requirements for immigrants. Permanent residents must carry the ID when they travel if they want to be readmitted to Canada. The wallet-sized plastic card expires every five years, and cardholders must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period to qualify for renewal. Not getting a renewed card well ahead of travelling abroad can leave immigrants out in the cold.
Toronto Star – Camping Class Gently Introduces Immigrants to Ontario Wilderness
There are more than 330 provincial parks in Ontario. But, for urbanites living in a concrete jungle, nature can feel so far away. And for many immigrant families, camping, hiking and fishing are such novelties they can’t even imagine themselves taking part. With some 100,000 newcomers settling in the province each year, Ontario Parks came up with the Learn to Camp program in 2011 to help all first-time campers connect with nature and discover the joy of camping. Last year alone, Ontario Parks staff reached out to 15,000 people at 47 events like this recent workshop at the immigrant service agency and coaxed more than 3,000 inexperienced campers into spending the night at nine of its participating campsites. […] Learn to Camp — a partnership with Coleman Canada and Canadian Tire — aims to eliminate any barriers inexperienced campers may face.