Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
Toronto Star – Diversity Uncut as Rogers Dismantles Multilingual TV: Goar
“The math didn’t work,” Colette Watson said matter-of-factly. She is the vice-president of television and operations at Rogers Television. It wasn’t a question of math, insisted the Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian and Punjabi-speaking viewers whose newscasts had been chopped. It was a betrayal, pure and simple. In their view, the media giant’s latest cutback broke a long-standing commitment by Ted Rogers, the founder of the network. It violated the broadcaster’s 35-year pledge to champion diversity. It threw Canada’s ethnic minorities off the bus to make room for big-bucks sports franchises and lucrative digital platforms. “Rogers has stripped bare the first-ever multilingual television licence,” said Dr. Joseph Wong, founder of the Yee Hong Foundation for Geriatric Care and a longtime member of the Chinese Canadian National Council. “We are asking the federal government and the CRTC (Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission) to make sure Rogers does not systematically dismantle an important part of Canada’s multicultural broadcasting heritage.” He spoke for a coalition of community groups — the Urban Alliance on Race Relations, the Canadian Ethnocultural Council, the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants and the Toronto chapter of the Chinese Canadian National Council — fighting to the reverse the cutback.
CTV News – EU Nations Divided on Plan to Take in Migrants Crossing the Mediterranean
European Union nations failed to bridge differences Tuesday over an emergency plan to share the burden of the thousands of refugees crossing the Mediterranean Sea, while on the French-Italian border, police in riot gear forcibly removed dozens of migrants. Around 100,000 migrants have entered Europe so far this year, with some 2,000 dead or missing during their perilous quest to reach the continent. Italy and Greece have borne the brunt of the surge, with many more migrants expected to arrive from June through to September. At talks in Luxembourg, EU interior ministers disagreed over how 40,000 new refugees arriving in Italy and Greece should be split up equitably among the 28-nation bloc to ease the load on the two southern nations. […] The current plan to relocate Syrians and Eritreans over the next two years is politically explosive, however, since it would legally set in stone each EU country’s commitment to host a certain number of refugees. Only about 10 of the EU’s 28 nations support the scheme and even those that do want changes in how the refugee distribution is calculated.
La Presse – Chute du nombre de demandes d’asile: Ottawa dit n’avoir rien à se reprocher
Alors que le nombre de réfugiés dans le monde ne cesse de battre des records, au Canada, le nombre de demandes d’asile est en chute libre. Rencontré en entrevue hier, le ministre fédéral de l’Immigration, Chris Alexander, s’en lave les mains. « On ne peut pas reprocher au gouvernement d’avoir tel ou tel nombre de demandeurs d’asile, car nous n’établissons pas les objectifs à cet égard. Nous ne les recrutons pas, les gens font leur demande ou non », a dit le ministre conservateur lors d’une rencontre avec La Presse, en marge d’une conférence qu’il a prononcée à l’invitation du Conseil des relations internationales de Montréal (CORIM). Le Canada, qui accueillait quelque 40 000 réfugiés bon an, mal an au début de la dernière décennie, a reçu tout juste 10 380 demandes d’asile en 2013 et 13 450 l’an dernier. En comparaison, les pays scandinaves, qui ont une population équivalente à celle du Canada, ont reçu 106 230 demandes d’asile en 2014.
CBC – Immigration Not Enough to Save P.E.I. Population
Immigration has kept P.E.I. the youngest province in Atlantic Canada over the last decade, but importing youth won’t be enough to keep the provincial population sustainable into the future. Like the rest of the Western world, P.E.I. is facing the problem of an aging population. This problem is made worse on P.E.I. because many young people are leaving, while at the same time older people are moving into the province. […] The Island’s population would be much older today but for a plan, which was at the same time successful and controversial, that attracted thousands of immigrants in the last decade. That early version immigrant investor program of the provincial nominee program, which ended in 2008, drew accusations of corruption for the way it was administered, but it also provided a huge boost to immigration. Just a few hundred immigrants a year were coming to the Island in the early years of the century, but it peaked at 2,609 in 2010-11. More than three quarters of those immigrants were younger than 45.
CBC – Refugee Health Care Case Not Likely to Be Decided Until After Election
The question of whether the federal government is obliged to pay all health care costs for anyone who seeks asylum in Canada is unlikely to be answered before this fall’s federal election. The Conservative government is currently appealing a Federal Court ruling that found the changes they had made to the health care system for refugee claimants were unconstitutional. Lawyers for refugee claimants say that case is not scheduled to be heard until after the Oct. 19 vote, though in the meantime the government has been forced to reinstate some of the benefits in order to comply with the court ruling. But doctors and refugee advocates taking part in a cross-Canada protest Monday say the current system still doesn’t meet the requirements laid out by the Federal Court last year. The changes weren’t reversed for all refugee claimants, only children and pregnant women, they argue. Even they struggle with a system that’s so confusing, not even providers are certain what is and isn’t covered.
Radio-Canada – L’idée du PLQ de hausser les seuils d’immigration fait sourciller l’opposition
Les partis d’opposition craignent qu’une hausse soudaine des seuils d’immigration rende plus fragile le statut du français au Québec. Le Parti québécois et la Coalition avenir Québec ont tous deux sourcillé, lundi, après avoir entendu les déclarations du premier ministre Philippe Couillard, la veille, indiquant que Québec allait accueillir davantage d’immigrants. Tous deux s’inquiètent de l’impact d’une telle décision sur le fait français, faisant valoir que le gouvernement devrait d’abord s’assurer d’intégrer en français et de faciliter l’accès au marché du travail des dizaines de milliers d’immigrants qui débarquent chaque année au Québec. Dimanche, en marge du congrès des membres du Parti libéral du Québec, à Montréal, M. Couillard a dit que le Québec devait ouvrir davantage ses portes à l’immigration pour combler ses besoins de main-d’oeuvre. Mais il n’a pas convaincu les partis d’opposition.