Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
The federal government has announced “stiff new consequences” for employers who break the rules when hiring foreign workers, but employers say the lack of an independent appeal process could be time-consuming and costly for individuals and businesses alike. The changes, which take effect on Dec. 1, come after the government received feedback from 42 stakeholder groups on a discussion paper posted online last September outlining proposed consequences for employers found to have broken the rules. The new regulations, published in the Canada Gazette this month, apply to employers hiring foreign nationals under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the International Mobility Program and to individuals seeking to hire foreign caregivers. […] The Canadian Federation of Independent Business, which represents more than 109,000 small business owners, welcomed the amendments as “a step in the right direction” but also expressed concern around the lack of an independent appeal process. “Too much discretion is left in the hands of the minister and the bureaucrats,” said Richard Truscott, vice-president of the CFIB’s B.C. and Alberta chapter, in a phone interview with CBC News on Monday. Under the new rules, employers have at least 30 days to contest the findings of an investigation, but once a final determination is made, the only recourse available to employers is legal action.
Maclean’s – How Has Canada Fared on Resettling Syrian Refugees?
This January, Immigration Minister Chris Alexander said Canada will resettle 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2017. It’s been six months. How’s Canada doing? The short answer is: Don’t bother asking. But first, some background. In July 2013, then-immigration minister Jason Kenney promised Canada would welcome 1,300 Syrian refugees by the end of 2014. Canada missed the deadline, and the Conservative government absorbed quite a bit of public criticism as a result. It was clear, though, that the government had details about the number of arrivals on hand throughout the process. In December 2014, Alexander tabled in the House of Commons a written response to a question by NDP MP Paul Dewar indicating, as of three weeks previous, how many Syrian refugees had arrived and, of those, how many were privately sponsored and how many came with government assistance. Alexander or his spokesman also made public statements in December and January updating these figures. It stands to reason, then, that the government knows how many of the 10,000 promised spaces for Syrian refugees have so far been filled. They just won’t say.
The Manitoban – International Students Hit the Streets
University of Manitoba international students are planning a massive demonstration outside the Fort Garry administration building July 30 to protest what they view as unfair treatment in everything from tuition fees to entrance requirements for the faculty of engineering. […] The recently passed 2015-16 U of M budget includes a hike in the tuition fee differential for international undergraduate students, who will have to pay between 10 and 18 per cent more in tuition this year depending on their academic program. International graduate students were also subject to a fee increase, with their fee multiplier increasing by 10 per cent. Together, the two fee increases give the university $7.6 million in new revenue this year. The fee hike comes as the university has trimmed $14.4 million from the operating portion of its $701 million budget, leading some international students to lament the quality of education at the U of M.
Acadie nouvelle – Immigration: plus de 20 % de francophones grâce à Entrée express
Plus d’un immigrant sur cinq appelé à s’installer au Nouveau-Brunswick grâce au programme Entrée express est francophone, selon la ministre provinciale responsable de l’immigration. Fredericton a récemment invité 425 personnes inscrites à Entrée express à immigrer au Nouveau-Brunswick. Plus de 20 % d’entre elles sont francophones, indique la ministre de l’Éducation postsecondaire, de la Formation et du Travail, Francine Landry. «Nous sommes en train de modeler le programme Entrée express pour qu’il puisse répondre plus spécifiquement à nos besoins en immigration francophone», explique-t-elle. Le nouveau système électronique du gouvernement fédéral pour gérer les demandes de résidence permanente de nature économique a été lancé en janvier. Ceux qui désirent immigrer au Canada peuvent s’inscrire au programme à tout moment pour ajouter leur nom à une banque de candidats potentiels dans laquelle Ottawa et les provinces peuvent faire leur choix.
Yahoo News – Asylum-Seeking Athletes a Concern During Pan Am Games
A few months ago, a Toronto immigration consultant group published a handy how-to guide for Pan Am athletes considering seeking asylum during the Games in Toronto. It wasn’t meant to encourage anyone, says Riley Haas of ImmiGroup. “We just wanted to make the information available,” he says of the March newsletter article, “How to Seek Asylum in Canada at the PanAm Games or Women’s World Cup.” Already, two Cuban baseball players defected last week while in North Carolina to play U.S. college teams ahead of the Games. […] At the 1967 Pan Am Games in Winnipeg, Cuban rowing team trainer Nestor Carbonell and boxer Jorge Enrico Blanco both defected. […]Some of the more memorable athletic asylum seekers include tennis star Martina Navratilova, who defected from Soviet-block Czechoslovakia during the 1975 U.S. Open at age 18; NHL players Peter and Anton Stastny, who defected from Czechoslovakia during the 1980 European Cup; Russian hockey player Alexander Mogilny, who defected during the 1989 World Hockey Championships in Sweden.
Ottawa Citizen – Why Aren’t Canadian Politicians Talking About Immigration?
Yet again, immigration is a no-show in yet another federal election campaign season. Why? What is behind this culture of silence, especially given the traditional importance of the immigrant vote to the Liberal party’s fortunes in Ontario, Montreal, Vancouver and particularly in the vote-rich GTA? And now that the NDP is seen as a viable agent for change, it should tell Canadians of its plans on immigration. Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s regime has made drastic, fundamental, even revolutionary changes to the immigration and refugee system. […] The present government has reduced the sponsorship of parents and grandparents virtually to a minimum. The program was opened in 2015 for a cap of 5,000 applications and was filled within a month or so. The program is dying and only the funeral arrangements are missing. That should be an election issue. Immigration is becoming slowly but surely the lifeblood of the Canadian economy, so the Liberals and the New Democrats cannot afford to lose their focus on this issue.