Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
The Guardian – US to Accept 30,000 Refugees Over Two Years, Says John Kerry
The US will accept an extra 30,000 refugees from around the world over the next two years, Secretary of State John Kerry said on Sunday, as the Obama administration came under further pressure to take in more victims of the Syrian civil war. Speaking as his predecessor Hillary Clinton urged America to “lead the world” in responding to the Syrian emergency, Kerry said the total number of refugees taken by the US yearly would rise from 70,000 to 85,000 next year and to 100,000 in 2017, Reuters reported. […] “The need is enormous, but we are determined to answer the call,” Kerry said, during remarks in Berlin. Kerry reportedly did not say whether any of the additional refugees would be from Syria. Earlier on Sunday, Clinton said the US should take in more than six times the 10,000 Syrian refugees that has been proposed by President Barack Obama.
Radio-Canada – Les États-Unis accepteront 85 000 migrants en 2016
Pour contribuer à apaiser la crise des réfugiés syriens, les États-Unis augmenteront significativement le nombre de réfugiés qui seront admis au pays dans les deux prochaines années, mais plusieurs militants et anciens fonctionnaires de l’administration Obama estiment que ce n’est pas suffisant. Les Américains accueilleront ainsi 85 000 réfugiés de partout à travers le monde en 2016, comparativement à 70 000 en 2015. En 2017, ils en recevront 100 000 nouveaux, a annoncé dimanche le secrétaire d’État américain John Kerry, lors d’une conférence à Berlin avec le ministre allemand des Affaires étrangères, Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
The Record – Visas Denied: Kitchener Arts Festival Forced to Cancel Iraqi Play
A local arts festival has had to cancel performances of an Iraqi play after the troupe’s Iraqi members weren’t able to obtain visas from the Canadian government for fear at least some of them would illegally stay in Canada afterwards. Nine members of the National Theatre Company, based in Baghdad, were to perform “Camp,” a play about an Iraqi man and woman who meet at a United Nations office as they both apply for refugee status, on Sept. 26 and 27 at the Impact 15 arts festival in Kitchener. Impact is a biennial international theatre festival organized by Waterloo Region’s MT Space, a theatre company with a multicultural focus that has been operating in the region for 11 years. But lack of visas forced festival organizers to cancel the performances, said Majdi Bou-Matar, the artistic director of MT Space and of Impact.
At first glance it might seem bizarre that Sault Ste. Marie city council would consider formulating a plan to attract and retain immigrants on the same night it discussed a local unemployment rate pegged at 12.2% by Statistics Canada. Why try to bring in new people when so many already there can’t find jobs? […]The Sault clearly needs younger people to do the work that needs to be done, pay taxes, buy things, own or rent houses, play on sports teams, attend events, eat at restaurants, start businesses –everything that makes a city tick. Immigration could supply some, perhaps reversing the Sault’s slow decline. Of course, the fear is that immigrants will take jobs away from native-born workers. Understandably, that fear is most acute when unemployment is high. But that’s not the case, according to the American Immigration Council, a non-profit group dedicated to honouring that country’s immigrant past and shaping how the country views future immigrants. Jobless rates don’t rise in areas with large numbers of recent immigrants, even in hard economic times, it says. Immigrants tend to fill different jobs with different skills than native-born workers do, at all education levels. Native-born workers, with better English-language skills, generally get the higher-paying jobs
Globe and Mail – Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi on Canada’s Handling of the Refugee Crisis
Born in Toronto to parents who emigrated from Tanzania, Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is watching how many Syrian refugees will be allowed into Canada. Before his keynote speech at the Institute for Canadian Citizenship’s LaFontaine-Baldwin symposium, Mr. Nenshi expressed his frustration with the federal government’s handling of the Syrian issue. […] “The numbers change every day. The numbers that people who work for the agencies and families trying to sponsor Syrian immigrants do not match the numbers the government is giving us [the Conservatives’ most recent plan is to absorb 20,000 Iraqi and Syrian refugees]. If we can’t share with our citizens basic data like that, if we’re not honest, to me that’s treating citizens with contempt. I think the reason this conversation about the Syrian refugees hit us so deeply in the heart is because we were suddenly confronted with a very big gap between the stories we tell ourselves about who were are and the actions we take.”
Toronto Star – Conservatives Pledge to Speed Admittance of Syrian Refugees
The federal Conservatives have promised to streamline admittance procedures to allow into the country by next September all 10,000 Syrian refugees the government has committed to accept. That’s 15 months earlier than the Conservatives had originally announced, but still nine months longer than the resettlement time frame the NDP and Liberals have proposed on the campaign trail. But Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander justified that lag Saturday, saying rigorous security and medical screening were still needed to ensure terrorists and other undesirables didn’t slip in amongst the fleeing. “We’ll take the time necessary to ensure that in welcoming those most in need we protect the security of Canadians,” Alexander told a Scarborough news conference. “Now some would have us shortcut these procedures for security and other key aspects of resettlement, sending planes to rush tens of thousands of people into our country, without even knowing who they are.”