Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
CBC – Manitoba to Give Emergency Funds for Refugee Assistance Program
A Manitoba program that helps refugees with paperwork and legal issues will get emergency funding from the provincial government. Funding for the Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council’s paralegal program originally came from the provincial nominee program, but that funding ended in 2012 when the federal government took over and stopped funding programs for refugee claimants and privately-sponsored refugee claimants. The province did not continue funding that particular service, meaning it was at risk of being cut. The program need about $200,000 to continue. A GoFundMe online campaign that the council had launched in June has raised about $7,100 to date. On Tuesday afternoon, Premier Greg Selinger said it’s a modest amount of money to help refugees who arrive in Manitoba. “We’re not going to leave refugees at the border because somebody’s not there to do the paperwork. We’ll get the paperwork done,” he told CBC News.
CBC – Niqab Ban Prevented 2 Women From Proceeding with Citizenship Oath
Since the Conservative government implemented a policy in 2011 stating that candidates for citizenship must remove any kind of face covering when taking the public citizenship oath, only two women have decided to not go through with the ceremony. “Citizenship applications have not been refused based on the 2011 policy,” said Sonia Lesage, a spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada. “We are only aware of two individuals who have chosen not to proceed to the citizenship ceremony based on the requirement to remove their face coverings.” […] The wearing of the niqab during the citizenship oath has become a controversial election issue. NDP Leader Tom Mulcair, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau and Green Party Leader Elizabeth May oppose the ban, while Conservative Leader Stephen Harper and Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe support it. In 2011, then immigration minister Jason Kenney issued a new policy manual stating that candidates for citizenship must remove any kind of face covering when taking the public citizenship oath. […] A Federal Court judge ruled against the federal government and struck down the ban. The federal government appealed that decision, but lost that as well.
Hamilton Spectator – Record 522K Migrants Arrive in Europe by Sea in 2015
A record 522,124 migrants and refugees have arrived in Europe by sea this year, the International Organization for Migration said Tuesday. The number is more than double the previous high set only last year. Of the estimated number of migrants who made the hazardous journey by sea, 388,000 arrived in Greece and 130,891 in Italy. They hail from countries that include Syria, Eritrea, Somalia, Sudan and Bangladesh, the IOM said. Last year, 219,000 migrants and refugees escaping war and poverty sailed to Europe. The route to Italy along the central Mediterranean is the deadliest — 2,621 migrants have drowned or gone missing there this year—but deaths have started to increase in the Aegean Sea, where many Syrians are heading from Turkey in an effort to reach Greece, the IOM said. It estimated that 246 people have died on that route in 2015.
Reuters – Austria Warns Migration Crisis Could Lead to Use of Force on Borders
Austria may have to use force to ease any backlog of migrants if Germany decided to no longer let them enter via their shared border, but will continue to work closely with its neighbor to expedite the flow, the Vienna government said on Tuesday. Germany has re-imposed border controls and curbed rail traffic from Austria in an effort to slow an influx of migrants, thousands of whom reach its territory daily. By contrast, Austria is largely letting migrants stream onto its soil from Hungary unhindered and shuttling them towards Germany. Asked by a reporter what would happen if Germany “seals the border”, Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner said: “Then there will be a massive backlog here in Austria and therefore here we quickly need a European answer. “Otherwise there will consequently be only two possibilities: either we carry on as until now, or there will be strict controls at the borders,” she told reporters before a cabinet meeting. “But then we must presume that images of force will emerge, that the use of force will be necessary.”
Toronto Star – Canada’s Asylum System Re-Victimizes LGBTQ Refugees
Val Kalende doesn’t understand why Canada’s refugee system is more interested in her sex life than the persecution she experienced as a lesbian in her native Uganda. “They wanted the names of my girlfriends and all of my previous relationships and their support letters to prove that,” said Kalende, a Ugandan gay activist who made an asylum claim in Canada in July for persecution on the grounds of sexual orientation. “It made me feel horrible. They just focused on these private, intimate things about my partners, sex life and breakups, instead of the way I was persecuted back home. There’s something about the (asylum) process that breaks you down, that breaks your emotions down.” The Toronto woman’s experience was echoed by the participants of a groundbreaking study to be released Tuesday by the Envisioning Global LGBT Human Rights research team based at York University. “Is Canada a safe haven for LGBT refugees?” asked the 59-page report by the same title. “We can answer a qualified yes — however, the study identifies serious obstacles.” One of those obstacles, it said, is the Canadian asylum system’s disproportionate emphasis on “credibility” in the claims process, which places the onus on LGBT claimants to produce highly personal evidence to substantiate their sexual orientation or gender identity.
CBC – Express Entry Gives First Dibs to Temporary Foreign Workers
A new immigration system designed to attract highly skilled workers from around the world to meet Canada’s labour needs isn’t living up to its promise, say businesses and prospective immigrants nearly 10 months after it was implemented. […] Jason Kenney, who was responsible for the Harper government’s transformation of Canada’s immigration system during his time as immigration minister, on Friday touted express entry as “a system that’s fast, that connects people to the labour market so they can realize their dreams and fulfil their potential upon arrival in Canada.” […] While that may be the goal, express entry has opened the door to very few new economic immigrants. To date, it has favoured a large number of temporary foreign workers and other foreign nationals already in the country. Over 85 per cent of the foreign nationals who were selected for admission under express entry in the first six months of the year — 11,047 out of 12,304 — were already in Canada, according to a report published by the Department of Citizenship and Immigration in July.