Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
iPolitics – Has Canada Really Taken in 15 Per Cent of Syrian Refugees? Not Exactly
While Trudeau may have walked away with the spotlight after Monday night’s foreign policy debate, it was Stephen Harper who had the Twitterverse all a-flutter over a claim he made about the size of Canada’s contribution to the Syrian refugee crisis response. […] “we already have resettled 15 per cent of all the refugees from the region in the international community,” Harper said during the debate. […]Iraq and Jordan are currently hosting about 900,000 Syrians as well, and the European Union has seen a total of 428,735 asylum applications from Syrians arriving on its shores since April 2011. Canada, in contrast, has resettled just 2,300 Syrian refugees so far. Here’s where it gets a bit hairy: “It is difficult to determine the exact numbers of how many people have been resettled to date,” said Kyle Matthews, senior deputy director of the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies at Concordia University and a fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. “Most of the stats are based on pledges, not the actual resettlement of refugees.” Those pledges suggest that, despite Harper’s suggestion that Canada has taken in 15 per cent of all the refugees from the region, it hasn’t actually done that — not yet, at any rate.
Chronicle Herald – New Immigration Streams Should Boost Growth
Nova Scotia, as the Ivany report ably showed, urgently needs both immigrants and more entrepreneurs. Two new business immigration streams announced by the Liberal government on Tuesday should be helpful on both counts. One stream will be for foreign entrepreneurs with money to invest in businesses in the province, the other for international graduates of Nova Scotia post-secondary institutions who have started and are running businesses here. It makes sense. Why wouldn’t Nova Scotia want more people with experience running businesses who want to immigrate and invest here? Why wouldn’t we want to keep foreign students who have studied in Nova Scotia and then launched their own companies here after graduating? Starting next year, both streams will be part of the provincial nominee program, a vehicle for provinces to nominate immigrants for expedited permanent residency. Each of the new streams will have up to 50 nominees. Ottawa almost doubled Nova Scotia’s nominee program cap this year, to 1,350 individuals. Last year, Nova Scotia overall received more immigrants — 2,670 — than in any year in the last decade.
TVA – Promesse du G7 et des pays du Golfe : 1.8 milliards de dollars pour les réfugiés
Le G7 et les pays du Golfe se sont engagés mardi à fournir 1,8 milliard de dollars pour le financement des organisations spécialisées de l’ONU confrontées à la pire crise de réfugiés depuis 70 ans. «Nous nous sommes mis d’accord pour fournir ensemble 1,8 milliard de dollars aux agences d’aide internationale des Nations unies, particulièrement l’agence de l’ONU pour les réfugiés et le Programme alimentaire mondial», a déclaré à la presse le ministre allemand des Affaires étrangères, Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
Radio-Canada – Le Manitoba débloque des fonds d’urgence pour les réfugiés
Le gouvernement du Manitoba débloquera des fonds d’urgence afin d’éviter la disparition d’un programme d’aide juridique aux réfugiés. Mardi après-midi, le premier ministre Greg Selinger a annoncé que la province accordera 200 000 dollars au Conseil multiconfessionnel d’aide à l’établissement des immigrants au Manitoba (CMAEIM) pour qu’il continue son programme d’assistance parajuridique qui aide les réfugiés à naviguer à travers le processus complexe de demande de statut de réfugié au Canada.
Radio-Canada – Seules deux femmes ont refusé de se dévoiler pour obtenir leur citoyenneté
Depuis 2011, deux femmes ont refusé de prêter leur serment de citoyenneté parce qu’elles devaient retirer leur voile, a indiqué à Radio-Canada le ministère de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration. « Nous sommes seulement au courant que deux personnes ont choisi de ne pas poursuivre la cérémonie de citoyenneté en raison de l’obligation de retirer le voile qui couvre leur visage », a écrit la porte-parole du ministère Sonia Lesage dans un courriel envoyé au diffuseur public.
The McGill Tribune – Understanding Quebec’s Role in the Syrian Refugee Crisis
On Sept. 9 the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis was declared the worst humanitarian crisis of our time by the Secretary General of the United Nations. Over 11 million Syrians have been displaced as a result of the current civil war. While the majority of refugees have fled to the Middle East and Europe, Quebec has accepted more than half of the 2,374 Syrian refugees who came to Canada between January 2014 and August 2015. […] Stéphane Plante, press officer for the office of the Immigration Minister, explained Quebec’s current role in the refugee crisis. “Our government felt that it was the right time to show leadership in the face of the worst humanitarian crisis since World War II,” Plante said. “We have a moral obligation toward those men, women, [and] children fleeing violence. We have the opportunity to provide them with peace, security, and a future.” Plante cited the Quebec government’s intention to admit 2,450 more Syrian refugees this year, bringing the total refugees admitted into the province in 2015 up to 3,650. He additionally explained that Quebec has resettled 60 per cent of all Syrian refugees in Canada.