Une alliance nationale visant à fournir une base factuelle pour l'établissement et l'intégration des nouveaux arrivants, ainsi que pour la promotion de communautés accueillantes au Canada
La revue de presse fournit des liens aux articles récents et archivés, à la fois en anglais et en français, sur l’immigration et la diversité lesquels ont été publiés dans les média locaux et nationaux. Il y a également des articles internationaux. Cette section est mise à jour hebdomadairement.
Business Vancouver – B.C. Immigration Crashes to 15-Year Low
As a panel discussion on foreign home ownership prepares to convene next week in Vancouver, the latest statistics show that international immigration to British Columbia has crashed to 15-year lows. The first half of 2015 has seen a net increase of less than 6,000 immigrants into B.C., compared with more than 18,000 in the same period last year. This was the first time in more than 15 years, BC Stats said, that B.C. experienced a net loss of non-permanent residents. If the current trend continues, immigration to B.C. will fall below the annual inflow that forms a key foundation of housing demand forecasts. The dramatic decline began in the fourth quarter of 2014 when net immigration fell to negative 1,808 people – meaning that many more people left B.C. for other countries than arrived. This was the first net loss of immigrants to the province in more than a decade.
Globe and Mail – Tories Move to Revoke Citizenship of Convicted Terrorist Born in Canada
In a punishment being likened to the centuries-old practice of exile, the Canadian government is attempting for the first time to revoke the citizenship of a convicted terrorist who was born in Canada, using new powers the Conservative government introduced last year. And the Canadian at the centre of it – Montreal-born Saad Gaya, now serving an 18-year sentence for his role in an unsuccessful plot to kill his fellow Canadians – has no automatic right to a court hearing to stop the revocation. The denaturalization powers in the new citizenship act are not only much stronger than in the days when Canada could strip suspected Nazi war criminals of their citizenship if they lied about their past, but the process is almost entirely in the hands of the citizenship and immigration minister and his department rather than the courts. Mr. Gaya, 28, was sentenced for his role in the “Toronto 18” bomb plot when he was 18. His parents were born in Pakistan, and the Canadian government says they, and he, have Pakistani citizenship. The federal citizenship law does not allow the government to leave anyone stateless. Mr. Gaya says he has never applied for citizenship in Pakistan and is not a citizen of that country.
The Guardian (Charlottetown) – Jason Kenney says Refugee Efforts Focusing on Syrian Minorities
The federal government encourages the efforts of community and churches in P.E.I. seeking to help Syrian refugees, said the country’s former immigration minister. But, said Jason Kenney, now National Defence minister, his government is proceeding with caution to ensure suspected terrorists and their relatives are not allowed in the country. The federal Conservative government pledged earlier in the year to help resettle 20,000 Syrian refugees, but has since been openly criticized in the media and by the other federal party leaders for not doing more to help with the Syrian refugee crisis. Kenney, who was in Summerside Thursday to show his support for Egmont Conservative incumbent Gail Shea, spoke about the issue with TC Media. “We are going to be very focused on ensuring that those people are coming from the most vulnerable minority communities. These small ethnic and religious minorities in Syria typically do not go to the United Nations camps, which I’ve visited, because they would be persecuted. They are afraid to go to those camps,” said Kenney, the country’s citizenship and immigration minister from 2008 to 2013.
Our Windsor – Toronto Tory Candidate Joe Daniel Questions “So-Called” Refugees
A Conservative candidate in Toronto has spoken out on “so-called” refugees fleeing Syrian violence, doubting the need of some for food and water, and criticizing Middle East nations for inaction on the crisis. Joe Daniel, who recently stirred controversy for saying that a Muslim “agenda” was behind the stream of refugees into Europe, waded back into the issue on Tuesday at an all-candidates’ debate in north Toronto. During the event, sponsored by the Bayview Village Association, an audience member asked Daniel about his recent comments in which he warned that an “agenda” was behind the refugee crisis to move Muslims into Europe “to change these countries in a major way.” […] In his response, Daniel, who is seeking election in Don Valley North, took aim at Middle Eastern countries for not doing more to aid the displaced civilians fleeing the civil war in Syria. […] And Daniel also said that some refugees — many of them on a marathon trek across land and sea — have turned away Red Cross aid on religious grounds because it is marked with the distinctive cross. And he appeared to question whether they even needed it.
CBC – Conservatives Pledge Funds, Tip Line to Combat “Barbaric Cultural Practices”
Conservatives continued to focus on controversial issues of identity politics ahead of tonight’s French-language leaders debate, pledging that a re-elected Tory government would establish a tip line for reporting “barbaric cultural practices” to the RCMP and would increase funds to help international organizations fight against forced marriages of young girls. Conservative candidates Chris Alexander and Kellie Leitch said during a news conference in Ajax, Ont., that in addition to a tip line, a Tory government would establish an integrated RCMP task force with units in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal to step up enforcement of the Zero Tolerance for Barbaric Cultural Practices Act, which received royal assent in June. […]Forced marriages were part of what motivated the Zero Tolerance for Barbaric Cultural Practices Act, which was a series of amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Civil Marriage Act that made permanent residents and temporary residents inadmissible to Canada if they practice polygamy and established a national minimum age for marriage of 16.
CBC – Ottawa Program Offering Free Legal Advice for Syrian Refugee Sponsors Expanding Nationally
A new Ottawa-based project that matches lawyers giving free advice with people who want to sponsor Syrian refugees has received so much interest that it’s now being rolled out across the country. “Like many Canadians, members of the bar, of the legal profession, are feeling incredibly moved and motivated to try to do something in light of an unprecedented crisis,” said Jennifer Bond, an assistant law professor at the University of Ottawa, who helped create the Refugee Sponsorship Support Program. To get more refugees to settle here faster, experts will work with lawyers to train them about the complicated process of sponsoring refugees so that the lawyers can in turn guide more Canadians, who are interested in doing so, through that process. It began as a modest project where Bond imagined some law students, trained in sponsorship, offering some support. By Thursday, 50 lawyers and law students were buzzing about some rooms at Ottawa city hall, sitting down with prospective sponsors. In total, 450 people received advice at that one-night legal clinic, which was part of a town hall where the community also announced its settlement coordination effort, Refugee613, and fundraising campaign, United for Refugees.